One of the most beautiful and characteristic cities on earth has got to be Venice, full of character and with canals going through it, I do perfectly understand why everyone has something really nice to say about it, but it’s not all about Gondolas and boats, this place is full of heritage and is a great place for the art lovers, with exhibitions going on for most of time of the year, incredibly good food ( if you are a food lover, please do try anything that come out of the sea, such as mussels and clams, or even deep fried sea food ) and beauty all around.
In Venezia, there’s always something new to discover, you can get easily lost if you don’t have a map (really just look out for the signs and you will be fine), but sometimes, that’s the best way to find the little hidden gems of the city.
Here’s some 5 random facts about the lagoon:
1) Did you know that Venezia has high water periods where tides can rise up to 2 meters, which means everyone will have to wear wellington boots to get around the main streets.
2) Venice originated in the 400s and it’s one of the oldest cities in Italy.
3) Venice has over 400 bridges and 144 canals, pretty impressive, we think!
4) Marco Polo was one of the most renown born and bred Venetians.
5) It has been said that one of the main problems of Venice is that it is sinking, and it might disappear in the next century, which suggest to pack your bag and visit it before it disappears.
My favourite spot, apart from Piazza San Marco, is the little port near Ponte di Rialto, just the fact that you can get so close to the water and yet, away from all the crowd made me happy.
It was a lovely day in Venice and of course, I got some time to shoot my outfit of the day. I was really inspired by the Gucci S/S14 collection, which was very floral, and took blazers, trousers, and shirts by giving them a pretty make over, I hope I did a good job with it.
If you are interested in doing some heavy shopping, Venice offers a great selection from the high street and the designers, you can find boutiques such as Louis Vuitton, Zegna, Burberry and Chanel.
I’d really be interested to know if you ever been to Venice, which is your favourite spot in the big lagoon.