It’s not the first time I write a post about travel, we discussed about what to wear when you go on holidays, we talked even about how to travel in style… but you might still wonder, why haven’t you talked about general travel tips?
Well today is your lucky day, and I’m going to gather together few general travel tips that you might find very helpful whenever you have to leave the country for a well deserved break!
1) DON’T CHECK YOUR LUGGAGES: If you’re only leaving for a couple of days, try to avoid checking in your bags. Take a good tote and carry it on the plane with you. As far as I’m concerned I know that most company will accept you taking a 55cm long bag (55x25x35cm) on board AND an additional piece of item such as a handbag, briefcase, laptop, camera.. etc
The perfect excuse to show around your Louis Vuitton keepall, and make sure that It won’t end up stolen or ripped open!!
In all honesty, It’ll save you a lot of time and stress (I’ve tested it myself) if you can just drop on and off the plane with no other worries in the world, don’t you think?
2) KEEP FIT AND HEALTHY: I don’t care if you think you’re the fittest man on earth, never ever think you’re invicible and that nothing is going to happen to you. Keep moving when you can, and don’t forget to take with you a good stash of vitamins and paracetamols, you might need it after a 12 hour flight to Mumbai. I know how that the wine must have been a good choice, but try to keep yourself hydrated as much as possible. Water will be your best friend, for your insides as well as your skin and your brain!
3) SPLIT UP YOUR MONEY: Remember, you’re going abroad and if you loose your wallet with all your money in it, you’re simply fucked! So be smart and try to split your money; keep bank cards, credit cards, and your cash in different pockets or wallets. If you can, It’d be very smart to have an emergency card stashed in a bag that you know you might not loose it. You can always transfer your money from bank account to another online later.
4) DON’T BRING TOO MANY LIQUIDS: With airport security rules getting stricter and stricter, you should know by now that you’re only allowed to carry only a certain amount of liquids, to be exact you can take 3oz of toiletry items and they must be packed in one clear quart-sized zip-lock bag. Meaning? Don’t bring your fragrances, handcream, toothpaste etc with you on the plane!
… Why? because they will simply ask you to throw it all away. I’ve seen many people falling for this, and man It’s always awful to see them being so resentful as they bin their stuff!
5) BE TECH-FRIENDLY: If you have a smart phone, try to download beforehand good apps such as translation-apps, store-finders, restaurants-finders etc. They will help you on your journey and they will be way easier than having a heavy book that you have to carry around all day in your backpack…
And no, I’m not telling you to ditch your tour books because they can be very good when it comes to details, but having that as well as a 1-stone mandarin-dictionary can get a bit heavy.
DON’T FORGET to switch off the 3g! If you need to surf the internet and check your e-mail you should try to get free-access from airports,cafes or your hotel.
Don’t tell me I didn’t tell you so when you get a £500 phone-bill as you step back into reality…..